The sequence and design of the lock houses built by the Lee Conservancy can be confusing. Perhaps this page will help you sort it out!
First of all - sequence....
1860 Stonebridge Lock. Demolished 1961 to make way for second lock chamber. Replaced by British Waterways house on west bank
1876 Hardmead Lock. Extant. Much altered and extended
1877 Rammey Marsh Lock. Demolished and replaced by modern building (date not known)
1878 Dobbs Weir Lock. Demolished February 1977. New house built by British Waterways in 1976.
1878 Feildes Weir Lock. Extant. Almost original
1878 Hertford Lock. Extant. Now extended to rear.
1878 The three houses and two offices at Limehouse Lock. Extant. Interior much altered.
1878 Picketts Lock. Demolished and replaced with bungalow by British Waterways (date not known)
1878 Ponders End Lock. Demolished 1959 to make way for second lock chamber. Replaced by British Waterways house, now also demolished.
1878 Waltham Town Lock. Extant in original position of lock, south of Highbridge Street.
1881 Tottenham Lock. Demolished 1960 to make way for second lock chamber. Replaced by British Waterways house.
1886 Kings Weir. Extant. Extended on east and south sides
1886 Ware Weir. Extant.
1889 Enfield Lock. Collector's House. Extant
(No date discovered for the Lock keeper's house which is also extant, possibly pre-1878)
1893 Waltham Common Lock. Extant.
1895 Aqueduct Lock. Burnt down 1975. Not replaced.
1899 Stanstead Lock. Extant.
1909 Cheshunt Lock. Burnt down and demolished after 1975. Not replaced
1936 Carthagena Lock. Extant, much enlarged.
And now - design....
Stonebridge Lock house (1860) was a unique design
LMA ACC 2423/P906
Although Hardmead Lock house, built in 1876, had the external appearance of the later 1878 design, the internal layout was different, with a central staircase rising from 3 feet inside the front door, effectively dividing the house in two.
Rammey Marsh Lock house (1877) also had this central staircase.
LMA ACC 2423/026
The most popular design (1878) was used at seven locks. The staircase in these houses climbed transversely up the back wall, some from the right hand side and some from the left. It seems to depend which side of the Navigation the house was built. Hertford and Feildes Weir (on the east bank) are both right handed whereas Dobbs Weir, Tottenham, Waltham Town were/are left handed. The long-gone houses at Picketts and Ponders End, also on the western side were almost certainly left handed as well.
LMA ACC 2423/P016
Kings Weir and Ware Weir (1886) both used the same design
LMA ACC 2423/P025
The Waltham Common house (1893) and that at Stanstead Lock (1899) used the same set of drawings with "Stanstead" pasted over "Waltham Common.
LMA ACC 2423/P044
Aqueduct Lock (1895) - there are no plans of the house here except the outline on the 1922 lock rebuilding drawing. This shows that the building here was probably built to the same design as Waltham Common and Stanstead
Cheshunt lock house (1909) seemed to incorporate bits of most of the previous designs
LMA ACC 2423/P40
Whereas Carthagena lock house (1936) was, unsurprisingly, a new layout altogether.
LMA ACC 2423/P2674
This site was last updated 16/06/13