Griggs’ Report 1844: No 11 Lock called Sawbridgeworth. Lock affected by a mill. Has a bridge attached with 5 oak timbers. The oak planking good; headway 6’ 0’’; depth of water on lower sill 3’ 6’’; ditto on upper sill 4’ 0’’. Lower gates worn and weak dated 1819. Upper gates new 1843. Brickwork below lower gates rubbed and broken. This lock except the lower part is in fair condition
1869: Dated wall plaque indicating reconstruction of the lock tail
Beardmore’s Report 1870: Sawbridgeworth Lock is in good repair
Childs’ Report 1880: Sawbridgeworth; Brickwork upper end requires repair, lower end good. Upper gates nearly new and good; lower gates 10 years old, fair. Sides of chamber bad, requires renewing. Very bad
Childs' 1884 Report: ""Brickwork, upper end requires repair, lower end good. Upper gates nearly new and good. Lower gates, 10 years old, fair. Sides of chamber very bad, requires renewing. Main Piles fair. Wing walls in good condition."
Tween's 1901 Report: "Brickwork, upper end requires repair, lower end good. Upper gates good. Lower gates, 1869, can be repaired. Open timber sides, Main Piles fair. Wing walls in fair condition. Upper sill should be lowered a few inches. Cost about £200.''
Image below from the 1901 Report
The lock house here was not occupied by employees of the Navigation, nor was it one of the seven “official” lock houses; it probably gained its name from its proximity to the lock, which was named after the town.
Burton’s Mill is to the left of the photograph. The long building alongside the lock is a maltings with the trademark chimney in the centre.
This photograph was probably taken in the 1930’s.
Sawbridgeworth "Lock House"
This site was last updated 16/02/13