Twyford Lock

 

Home
Up
Lock Dimensions
Brick Lock
Burnt Mill Lock
Feakes Lock
Harlow Mill Lock
Hunsdon Mill Lock
Latton Lock
Lower Lock
Parndon Mill Lock
Roydon Lock
Sawbridgeworth
Sheering Mill Lock
South Mill Lock
Spellbrook Lock
Tednambury Lock
Twyford Lock

 

TWYFORD LOCK

 

Lock State Date Length Length - Working Distance Width Fall
Twyford Lock Built turfsided 1766/9 90' 0'' 87' 6'' 13' 6'' 7' 0''
Twyford Lock Rebuilt in brick/concrete 1922 90' 0'' 87' 6'' 13' 6'' 7' 0''

Griggs’ Report 1844: No 2 (No 46) Foot bridge called Rowley Croft is in good working order.*  No 14 Lock called Twyford Mills Lock is affected by a Mill; has a cart bridge attached with 6 oak timbers and oak planking. Headway 5’ 9’’. Depth of water on the lower sill 3’ 1’’; ditto on the upper sill 3’ 7’’; the lower gates bad; dated 1812; This lock will in a short time require repairing throughout.

* The footbridge is now called the Rowley Croke, an interesting change in name over 170 years

Beardmore’s Report  1870: Twyford Lock is in bad repair

Childs’ Report 1880: Twyford; In bad condition generally, upper and lower gates very old. Brickwork bad repair, side piles bad also. Fore bay good. Will require an expenditure of £400 within a short time. Depths over sills sufficient.

Childs' 1884 Report: ''In bad condition generally, upper and lower gates very old, but in fair repair.  Brickwork bad repair, side piles bad also.  Forebay good, will require an expenditure of £400 within a short time, depth over sills sufficient''

 

Tween's 1901 Report: ''In bad condition generally. Upper and lower gates very old, 1848.  Brickwork, bad repair, side piles bad also. will require an expenditure of £500.  (Both sills) should be lowered 1 foot''

 

The name came from Twyford Mill, derived from the two fords which were next to the mill, the Stort and the Latchmer Brook, a small stream rising in Birchanger.

 

Records of a mill on the River Stort at Twyford go back as far as the 1086 Domesday Book.  By 1900, Twyford Mill was converting farm produce such as grain, peas and beans into animal feed.

 

In 1909 the Lee Conservancy Board were in negotiations to take over the Stort Navigation. As part of the new agreement they sought to eliminate the millers' rights to tolls for traffic passing through adjoining locks (6d). The Board also wanted to regulate a consistent and overall 12" drop in water level as the boats passed through all their rivers' locks. Three of the mills, including Twyford, held out for the existing lesser 9" fall in level in order to maintain a higher constant flow though their water wheels. The miller, Mr Lawrence, and the owner, Mr Frere, were described in the transfer proceedings as being 'obdurate'. It took two more years of negotiation before an agreement could be reached.

 

The Mill ceased operation in the late 1940's and was later converted into residential accommodation.

 

In the 1970's a new spillway was built above the lock on the towpath side as part of a flood relief scheme.

 

 

 

The turf sided lock is pictured here on a card posted on July 13th 1913.  The head stream to the mill is just visible in front of the trees on the left. 

 

 

Home | Lock Dimensions | Brick Lock | Burnt Mill Lock | Feakes Lock | Harlow Mill Lock | Hunsdon Mill Lock | Latton Lock | Lower Lock | Parndon Mill Lock | Roydon Lock | Sawbridgeworth | Sheering Mill Lock | South Mill Lock | Spellbrook Lock | Tednambury Lock | Twyford Lock

This site was last updated 16/02/13