Griggs’ Report 1844: No 10 Lock called Sheering Lock is affected by a mill. Has a Road Bridge attached to it. 6 timbers oak planking; it is an old bridge. Headway 6’ 0’’. Depth of water on lower sill 3’ 6’’. Ditto on Upper Sill 2’ 11’’. The lower gates in fair working order dated 1833. The upper gates in good order dated 1828. Some of the brickwork below the lower gates in middling repair. However this lock is in good condition. No 5 Lock house at Sheering Lock in middling order
Beardmore’s Report 1870: Shearing Lock is in good repair
Childs’ Report 1880: Sheering; Upper and lower gates and brickwork all in very good condition. Sides renewed 1875. Closed nearly to upper pool level. All in most satisfactory condition. Ample depth over sills. Lockhouse and shed lath and plaster built and tiled, old but in fair condition.
Childs' 1884 Report: "Upper and lower gates and brickwork all in very good condition. Sides renewed 1875, closed nearly to upper pool level, all in most satisfactory condition. Ample depth over sills. Lock house and shed. lath and plaster built and tiled, old but in fair condition."
Tween's 1901 Report: "Upper and lower gates and brickwork all in fair condition. Sides renewed 1875, closed nearly to upper pool level, all in fair condition. Lower sills should be lowered 12 inches. Lock house and shed. lath and plaster built, and tiled, old , but in fair condition."
Although a mill in Sheering was recorded in Domesday, it is not certain that that the site corresponded with the present position. The mill here was called Quickbury Mill in 1241 but the date of the change of name to Sheering Mill is not known. The Mill, from which the photograph below was taken, closed in 1914, probably due to lack of demand for its produce. It was purchased by the Lee Conservancy and demolished in November 1917. The tail race tunnels are still visible. There is a miller's plate above the top gate.
Sheering Mill Lock Cottage in the early 1950's (Jenny Snow)
Sheering Mill Lock Cottage c1986 (Peter Carr)
The 1799 lock cottage lasted until 1980 but was then allowed to deteriorate, unoccupied, until it had to be demolished. However, the original plaster plaque that was over the front door, bearing the red hand of the baronet and Sir George Duckett’s initials (see above) still survives.
The old cottage was replaced by the present building in 2000.
The photograph below is said to be taken in 1910, on the day of the Annual Survey although no record survives of any survey before 1915.
The lock keeper standing by the towing path gate is probably Edmund Higgins. His wife Caroline is to the left. Far left is possibly Elizabeth Reed, noted in the Census as a domestic servant. Higgins was first recorded as the lock keeper at Sheering Mill in the 1901 Census. He died on 1st May 1921.
The rebuilding of the lock chamber was commenced in September 1916 and completed by June 1917. There is a plate on the lockside commemorating the Re-opening of the River Stort in October 1924.
Sheering Mill Lock
This site was last updated 16-Feb-2013