00Burnt Mill Lock1

 

Home
Up
Lock Dimensions
Brick Lock
Burnt Mill Lock
Feakes Lock
Harlow Mill Lock
Hunsdon Mill Lock
Latton Lock
Lower Lock
Parndon Mill Lock
Roydon Lock
Sawbridgeworth
Sheering Mill Lock
South Mill Lock
Spellbrook Lock
Tednambury Lock
Twyford Lock

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

BURNT MILL LOCK

 

 

Lock State Date Length Length - Working Distance Width Fall
Burnt Mill Lock Built turfsided 1766/9 97' 2'' 94' 8'' 13' 6'' 4' 1''
Burnt Mill Lock Rebuilt in brick/concrete 1913 97' 2'' 94' 8'' 13' 6'' 4' 1''

Griggs’ Report 1844:No 6 Lock called Burnt Mill Lock is affected by a mill. Has a road bridge attached to it with 6 oak timbers and oak covering. Greater part of the bridge new in 1843. Depth of water on the upper sill 3’ 6’’; ditto on lower sill 3’ 7’’. Headway under bridge 5’ 9’’. Brickwork to the lower gates in fair order. With upper and lower gates dated 1814. One upper staple post indifferent. The lower gates are very weak and the gate planking bad. No 3 Lock house at Burnt Mill in good order

Beardmore’s Report  1870: Burnt Mill Lock is in good repair

Childs’ Report 1880: Burnt Mill; Upper gates require renewing. Lower gates renewed and deepened in 1861 in fair condition. Side timbers and slacker frames &c in poor condition. (Lock house) Plaster & tiled (date 1799) old but in fair condition, sheds timber

Childs' 1884 Report: ''Upper gates require renewing. Lower gates renewed and deepened in 1861, in fair condition;  side timbers ands slacker frames, &c., in poor condition.  Lower brick work requires repair. Lock-house: Plaster and tiled (date 1799), sheds timber, recently repaired, new tiled, and an addition in brickwork of a washhouse, with bedroom over.

 

Tween's 1901 Report: ''Upper gates, pine, fair order, Lower gates , 1861, in bad condition. Lower brickwork requires repair.  Cost about £400 The upper sill should be lowered about 1 foot. Lock-house, plaster and tiled (date 1799). Sheds, timber, in fair order.


The mill on this site was originally known as Netteswell Mill and was recorded as early as 1203.  It was first noted as Burnt Mill in 1580.  The mill closed in about 1880, became derelict and was demolished.  The origin of the current name is a mystery.  No one seems to know why it is thus named; it could be self-explanatory, the date of the fire lost in the past.  In the River Stort Act of 1759, it was shown as Brent Mill but this was a copyist’s error since there was a Burnt Mill shown on Samuel Cockett’s map in 1772.  For further information on the history of the village, go to http://www.bmssc.co.uk/burnt-mill-village.html

 

By 1885, there was an ironworks where the mill stood. The Outdoor Pursuits Centre now occupies the site. 

 

 

 

The photograph above shows the house set well back from the chamber to allow for the wider turf-sided lock, which can be seen  in the plan below.

 

 

This raises another mystery. The plan, which is dated November 1912, shows proposed alterations to the lock house.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

LMA ACC 2423/P1587

The elevation facing the lock bears two plaques - one, presumably the original, has the initials GD (George Duckett), the red hand and the date 1799. The other, LC (Lee Conservancy)  rebuilt 1913.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

But the mystery is that this card, posted on August 15th 1905, clearly shows, apart from the original lock house in the foreground, the chimney and roof of the proposed building!

 

Then on 13th March 1924 a letter was received from Epping Rural District Council's Sanitary Inspector, Mr Beard  :  "The Netteswell Parish Council have called my attention to the conditions under which your employee Mr Puncher at the Lock-house, Burnt Mill, is living.  As you are probably aware, there is only one room in which the man and his wife have to eat, sleep and do all the work in.  The place is damp, there is no proper water supply and the closet is dilapidated.  I hope your board will now put in place the proposed new cottage which I understand was contemplated some long time ago."   Mr Tween comments "It will be remembered that Puncher was offered the Brick Lock cottage some time ago but refused it."   (LMA ACC 2423/021)

 

On 2nd December 1924, approval was given for the new, less elaborate design of an extension to the lock cottage.

LMA ACC 2423/P1949

 

 

The lock house was replaced by a modern bungalow in the 1960’s.

 

 

 

The warning sign on the bridge doesn't relate to the fact that boaters would be advised to duck when going through the very low bridge.  It warns of possible canoe activity beyond at the Harlow Outdoor Learning Centre (http://www.essexoutdoors.org/harlow.php)

 

Just above the lock is Canalability, a registered charity dedicated to working with disabled people and with community and youth groups.  You can enjoy a great experience on their boats exploring the River Stort and the River Lee for day trips or weekend breaks. http://www.canalboat.org.uk

 

In 2007 a sculpture by Graeme Mitcheson "Short Stort Thoughts" was placed on the eastern side of the lock.

Incorporating objects that relate directly to the canal such as fish, ropes and chains, this work uses a series of globe shapes to symbolise the link that the River Stort Navigation has historically provided between Harlow and the rest of the world.

 

 

Burnt Mill Lock House

 

Census/Date

Name

Title

Wife

Location given by enumerator/Comments

Source Reference

8.8.1955 Percy Thomas Lock keeper/ Labourer Appointed at £7.14.11 plus on call allowance of 5/- LCB Records
21.9.1949 B W Noble Relief Lock/weir keeper Appointed £4.15.0; Last recorded r.o.p £4.18.6 on 2.8.1950.  Left employ 28.5.1955 LCB Records

13.9.1944

G Nicholson

Lock keeper

£3.5.0 per week with house and uniform

NA Rail 845/126

13.9.1944

A H Hawley

Lock keeper

Transferred to Ponders End

NA Rail 845/126

1.5.1939

A H Hawley

Lock keeper

Appointed from Brick Lock

NA Rail 845/123

10.3.1939

N J Barker

Lock keeper

To retire 1.5.1939 with pension

NA Rail 845/123

12.3.1937

N Barker

Lock keeper

65 on 22.4.1937, 8 years service

NA Rail 845/121

1.4.1938

N Barker

Lock keeper

£1.5.0 to £1.6.0

NA Rail 845/122

9.10.1936

N J Barker

Lock keeper

21/- to 23/- wef 6.7.1936

NA/Rail 845/120

19.4.1929

N J Barker (57)

Lock keeper

Appointed at 21/- per week plus uniform and house, on condition that should he be incapable of carrying out his duties due to his rupture, he will be given a week’s notice

NA Rail 845/113

19.4.1929

L G Puncher

Lock keeper

Resigned, vacated house on 30.3.1929

NA Rail 845/113

5.10.1928

L G Puncher

Lock keeper

Increase to £1.1s (minimum wage)

NA Rail 845/112

26.2.1926 L G Puncher requested 2 weeks leave due to…..(p 52 of minute book missing)

 17.2.1926 Wrote again asking for further absence (No reason given)  This is costing 9/- per week extra (LMA ACC 2423/023

 23.4.1926  Now returned to duty  (NA/Rail 845/110)

27.4.1923

L G Puncher

Lock keeper

To stay at Burnt Mill

NA Rail 845/107

18.4.1923

F Oxley

Asst Lock keeper

Appointed then transferred to Brick Lock

NA Rail 845/107

18.4.1923

L G Puncher

Lock keeper

Transferred to Brick Lock

NA Rail 845/107

20.1.1922

Leonard George Puncher

Lock keeper

Appointed

NA/Rail 845/49

10.1.1922

John Clarke

Lock keeper

Died

NA/Rail 845/49

14.11.1919

J Clark

Lock keeper

21/- per week + house, garden, and uniform

NA/Rail 845/46

5.2.1918

J Clark

Lock keeper

19/- per week

NA/Rail 845/66

4.3.1915

 

Lock keeper

+2/- per week

NA Rail 845/42

6.11.1914

Fitch

Lock keeper

To attend temporarily while Robinson is sick

NA/Rail 845/41

6.11.1914

Robinson

Temp Lock keeper

 for 12months  Suffering from dropsy

NA/Rail 845/41

1911 None recorded Burnt Mill lock-house should be made habitable.  There was water under the floor boards NA/Rail 845/62

2.4.1911

        House shown as unoccupied  RG14PN9799 RG78PN517 RD189 SD3 ED6 SN6

31.3.1901

George Clayden (53)

Lock keeper

Wdr

Lock house - Burnt Mill

Ex/Netteswell/6/18

5.4.1891

Benjamin Griffin (Giffin) (65)

Lock keeper

Sarah

Burnt Mill The Lock house

Ex/Netteswell/9/18-19

4.4.1881

Benjamin Giffen (Giffin) (55)

Lock keeper

Sarah

Burnt Mill (The Lock)

Ex/Netteswell/7/1

2.4.1871

Benjemin Griffin (Giffin) (42)

Lockman

Sarah

Burnt Mill

Ex/Netteswell/7/1

8.4.1861

Robert Searle (69)

Lockman

Mary

Lock House, Burnt Mill Lane

Ex/Netteswell/7/1

30.3.1851

Robert Searl (60)

Lockman

Mary

Lock house

Ex/Netteswell/4/1

7.6.1841

Robert Searl (50)

Lockman

Mary

Lock house

Ex/Netteswell/7/1

11.6.1833

Robert Searle     Burnt Mill Lockhouse Essex RO D/DU 289/52
1825 George Sale Lock-keeper Mary Ann Son, George. 9 years John Boyes

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Home | Lock Dimensions | Brick Lock | Burnt Mill Lock | Feakes Lock | Harlow Mill Lock | Hunsdon Mill Lock | Latton Lock | Lower Lock | Parndon Mill Lock | Roydon Lock | Sawbridgeworth | Sheering Mill Lock | South Mill Lock | Spellbrook Lock | Tednambury Lock | Twyford Lock

This site was last updated 04-Dec-2014